Ways to volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Alzheimer Scotland. We could not exist without the help of hundreds of volunteers all over Scotland. Each local project needs volunteers for different activities. Our volunteers receive training and support, and we pay expenses.
Working as a volunteer, you might:
- work with people with dementia in one of our day centres or drop-ins, helping them enjoy a sociable time, with conversation, activities and outings
- offer a particular skill such as art or music
- drive or escort people with dementia to and from a day centre
- befriend someone with dementia who is living in a local care home or hospital by visiting regularly - see Forget me not Service or Connect 2 Project
- provide information and promote awareness of dementia to the general public and people concerned about the condition
- work on our 24 hour Dementia Helpline - see Volunteer for the Dementia Helpline for more details
- help organise an event, from a coffee morning to a gala dinner, to raise funds to support our work
- take part in an event, such as a sponsored walk or bungee jump - see our Forthcoming fundraising events page for more details
- help in project or branch offices, for example providing information for carers and people with dementia
- offer one-off help, for example to get a big mailing out.
If you would like to volunteer -
What you can get out of volunteering
Volunteering at Alzheimer Scotland provides you with the opportunity to develop and build on skills, knowledge and experience and at the same time as making a difference to lives around you who are connected to the organisation. Volunteer with Alzheimer Scotland and gain an all encompassing enjoyable and rewarding experience.
How volunteering helped me
The staff and volunteers were very warm, welcoming and extremely friendly the day I arrived.
John Alick Macleod
The day I attended the Day Centre and saw the work that was carried out there, and also the warm, welcoming and very caring staff, I knew this was the place that I wanted to be involved in as a volunteer.