Important update on Care Home visiting
Alzheimer Scotland is hearing first-hand through our various frontline support services about developing visiting inconsistencies in care homes as a direct result of the new Omicron variant. These inconsistencies are as a result of decisions being taken locally by some care homes, contrary to the Open with Care guidance and the principles of Anne’s Law. If you are unable to access visitation over the festive period, please contact our Action on Rights team.
Alzheimer Scotland's Action on Rights team, funded by Scottish Government, is available to help carers, families and friends of anyone living in Scotland's care homes. The team can support you:
• To have meaningful contact between those living in care homes and their families and friends of care home residents; and where necessary and appropriate to liaise directly with care homes staff responsible for visiting arrangements to facilitate visits (when permitted and with any relevant restrictions)
• To be better informed about care home visiting guidance, local public health restrictions and support available to them
• To make better more informed decisions and have better dialogue with care homes around visiting
• To explore alternative ways for meaningful contact when restrictions result in the suspension of visits
• To have access to the range of support that Alzheimer Scotland provide
• To be supported to access the support of other agencies or organisations
• To obtain support to address the trauma and distress of the pandemic and restrictions.
The Action on Rights team will be available Monday-Friday from 8am-6pm and you can contact them by emailing them directly: [email protected] or calling the 24 hour Freephone Dementia Helpline on 0808 808 3000. The Helpline volunteer who answers your call will take your contact details and pass these directly to the Action on Rights team. Should your call come outwith these times, our Helpline volunteers will provide you with information and emotional support before passing your details on to the team to be followed up at the earliest opportunity.