Allied Health Professionals
Who are Allied Health Professionals and how can they help me?
Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) are a group of various health professionals who can support you if you have dementia. They are often referred to as AHPs and are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
AHPs are experts in prevention and rehabilitation and will help you focus on your abilities and strengths, so you can stay connected to your community and live in your own home for as long as possible. There are several different kinds of AHPs. The following are the AHPs you are most likely to see in a community setting. Click on the titles below to learn more about how they can help you.
- Art Therapists - Help you to communicate feelings using art
- Dietitians - Help you to eat and drink well
- Music Therapists - help you communicate your individual needs through music
- Occupational Therapists - Help you to continue with the activities that are important to you. For example, getting dressed, maintaining hobbies or going to work
- Physiotherapists - Help you to stay active
- Podiatrists - Help you to look after your feet
- Speech and Language Therapists - Help you with your everyday conversations and any difficulties you have with swallowing food and fluids.
Allied Health Professionals have created a suite of information resources for people with dementia and those who support them. This includes information on activities at home, eating well, footcare and diet and hydration. This information is relevant for people living at home, being supported at home or in a care home setting.
AHP Digital Information
Activities at home
Activities at home – getting started and environment
Eating well at home
Footcare at home
Physical activity at home
It is best to make early contact with an AHP if you are worried about your memory or if you or someone in your family has recently been diagnosed with dementia. That way you can get the information, advice and treatment that is right for you and your family as quickly as possible.
If you would like to speak to someone about how Allied Health Professionals can help support you, call our 24 hour Freephone Dementia Helpline number on 0808 808 3000. Alternatively, our AHP colleagues have set-up an online blog and Twitter account @AHPDementia, to share handy tips with you, showcasing how they can help support you to live well with dementia. Or you could join one of our online surgeries which are hosted by AHPs.