Fair Dementia Care
The Fair Dementia Care Commission, established by Alzheimer Scotland, published the 'Delivering Fair Dementia Care For People With Advanced Dementia' report in January 2019.
The report sets out a firm definition for advanced dementia for the first time. It also identifies the inequality people living with advanced dementia face in terms of access to health care. Through the report the Fair Dementia Care Commission calls for a number of reforms, including equal access to free healthcare for people living with advanced dementia.
The report sets out the following recommendations:
- That the Commission definition of advanced dementia is used and implemented in practice
- That advanced dementia is recognised as a continuum which includes but is not confined to end of life and dying
- That the Scottish Government commits to recognising that the needs of people with advanced dementia are health care needs and ensure equality of access to appropriate health and nursing care, which is free at the point of delivery
- That the Scottish Government commits to investigating the costs of implementing appropriate and free health care for those living, and dying, with advanced dementia
- That the Scottish Government, COSLA and Integration Joint Boards commit to ending the current lack of transparency, complexity and variability in current non-residential care charging provisions across Scotland
- That the recording of dementia (including advanced dementia) prevalence across all health and social care settings is urgently required to support better understanding of demand, allocation of resources and improved care and support
- That all local authorities/health and social care partnerships make local charging policies accessible and readily available
Support the campaign
Alzheimer Scotland will provide updates and ask for your support as we campaign for people with advanced dementia to have equal access to free healthcare just like other progressive illnesses in Scotland. To receive these updates and to support this campaign please sign up using the form below.