Money and legal matters
Dementia affects the memory and the ability to work things out. As the illness progresses, money and legal matters can become harder to manage. It's important to put your financial and legal affairs in order as soon as possible. Making some decisions now can also help avoid complicated decisions being made by your partner, relatives or carer(s) at a later stage, without your input to the decision.
If you have questions such as:
- How can a financial or welfare power of attorney help?
- How can I access money in my relative's account to pay their bills?
- What benefits can we apply for?
- What will happen to my house if I go into a care home?
- Does my relative need a guardian?
If you are seeking further information on either Guardianship or Intervention orders you can find further information here or you can call the Office of the Public Guardian Scotland on 01324 678300.
Contact our Freephone 24 Hour Dementia Helpline on 0808 808 3000. where our volunteers will be able to signpost you to the best support and resources.