Accessing post diagnostic support
Your right to support
The Scottish Government has guaranteed a year’s post diagnostic support for everyone diagnosed with dementia.
What is post diagnostic support?
There are five key aspects of post diagnostic support (PDS) which will help you to:
- Understand the illness and manage your symptoms
- Be supported to keep up your community connections and make new ones
- Have the chance to meet other people with dementia and their partners and families
- Plan for future decision-making
- Plan for your future support.
How do I access post diagnostic support?
In many areas this is provided by Alzheimer Scotland’s Dementia Link Workers on behalf of the NHS. In other areas post diagnostic support is provided by NHS staff. You can ask your doctor to refer you for post diagnostic support or search our support to find out if Alzheimer Scotland has a Dementia Link Worker or other post diagnostic support in your area.
Accessing post diagnostic support - continued
If you would like to talk to someone about your recent diagnosis and any queries you may have, call our Freephone 24 hour Dementia Helpline on 0808 808 3000 for further information, support and advice.