Free personal and nursing care
We've put together a brief guide on what personal care and nursing care means for people with dementia which covers:
- What is meant by personal care
- People in their own home
- People living in a care home.
Personal care includes help with:
- Personal assistance – such as help with dressing, surgical appliances, getting up & going to bed, using a hoist
- Personal hygiene – such as bathing, washing hair, shaving, oral hygiene and nail care
- Continence management – such as toileting, catheter/stoma care, skin care, extra laundry or bed changing
- Food and diet – such as help with eating, special diets, meal services or preparing specialist meals such as pureed food
- Immobility and help with moving about indoors
- Behaviour management and psychological support, including reminding and safety devices
- Support with other treatments – such as help with eye drops, creams and lotions, simple dressings and oxygen therapy.
To talk to someone about free personal or nursing care, call our Freephone 24 hour Dementia Helpline on 0808 808 3000.