We've put together a brief guide on what personal care and nursing care means for people with dementia which covers:
- What is meant by personal care
- People in their own home
- People living in a care home.
Personal care includes help with:
- Personal assistance – such as help with dressing, surgical appliances, getting up & going to bed, using a hoist
- Personal hygiene – such as bathing, washing hair, shaving, oral hygiene and nail care
- Continence management – such as toileting, catheter/stoma care, skin care, extra laundry or bed changing
- Food and diet – such as help with eating, special diets, meal services or preparing specialist meals such as pureed food
- Immobility and help with moving about indoors
- Behaviour management and psychological support, including reminding and safety devices
- Support with other treatments – such as help with eye drops, creams and lotions, simple dressings and oxygen therapy.